Friday, January 23, 2015

The greatest of these is love.

I can hardly believe that tonight is my LAST night in Piura! The week went by so fast. The vast majority of the group left today, so I'm just relaxing here enjoying the newly easily accessible Wi-Fi ;) I have already stolen my roommates' pillows.
Here's a little update and some fotos for your enjoyment:
Tuesday was a pretty long day in the OR suite (post-op again for me). We met so many sweet people as they wake up, some in lots of pain and some who wake up smiling loving their Fentanyl. After 14-15 hours in the surgery suite, there were only 2 patients left. One was a puker x2867, the other was the happiest man I have ever met. He was an absolute gem and couldn't stop smiling and making jokes despite his pain. La problema? Patients aren't allowed to leave until they pee. This poor man could not void to save his life despite receiving 4L of IV fluids. (Side note: Additionally, I couldn't leave and get to bed until he peed). My ICU brain was going in circles... but probably he was just incredibly dehydrated going into the OR. I literally walked him to the toilet 5 times, losing hope each time. When I FINALLY heard the glorious sound of pee hitting the toilet without the help of a straight cath, I actually did a happy olinar dance for him. Probably the physicians are sitting on their flight making of my pee dance at this moment. Hey, I work at a children's hospital.

MU nurses with our medical team coordinator Michele and Cheryl (who is from the Oklahoma team)

Wednesday was another hospice day in the morning. In the afternoon I got to see my family! (Sidebar: The parish has a "Family to Family" program that sets up U.S. families to sponsor a Peruvian family financially. If you are interested in sponsoring a family, email me!) When I was here in 2012 they had 3 y.o. twins, Flavia & Fernanda, who were adorable but VERY shy. The father is a teacher at the public school and actively involved in raising his kids. The mom writes me letters every so often (which take me about an hour to read since my espanol is awful) and sends pictures the kids make. I wasn't sure if I would see them, as there isn't a great way to get in touch. I got back from the hospice and the family was sitting in the narthex! Flavia y Fernanda gave me big hugs.... AND they now have a little baby who is now 2 months old. The twin girl who had surgery for congenital hip dysplacia in 2012 now runs and walks! :) There was a picnic for all the families followed by a trip to the local ice cream shop.

 
 

Wednesday night: Fiesta! Exactly the same as I remember them- we drive to a nearby village, are hosted by a Vegas lounge singer type man in a silk shirt, and dance with the kiddos. Such a blast!

Thursday we got to go on home visits to check on some of our patients who were a few days postop. For the most part, everyone looked really great. The men do get predictably "extremely well-cared for" by their wives/mothers/sisters and most patients likely weren't doing enough walking (therefore not enough pooping after an abdominal surgery). A couple patients did go to hospice so the nurses could keep a closer eye on them after a more complicated surgery or recovery.

The happy go lucky no peeing man with his fam. He remembered my baila.


Friday was just a cleanup/rest day, as I said most of the group left tonight. This was an amazing week, and I'm sure I will write a mushy I miss Peru blog post within the first few days of being back in the States (after I brush my teeth with actual tap water, shower without flip flops on, and sleep in an adult sized bed). This week went by quickly, but was filled with so much love and happiness. We all know I'll be back here again, it's just a matter of when :) 


Con amor,
Esperanza



No comments:

Post a Comment