Monday, January 5, 2015

Back at it! (pre-trip thoughts 2015)

In just 10 short days I will be returning to Santisimo Sacramento parish in Piura, Peru for a medical mission trip! I never thought I'd be able to return to these people I love so soon, and I am so thankful for this opportunity. Several months back, I heard of a group going that was happy to include some of the Marquette girls. I knew I wanted to go, but took forever to make up my mind (as usual). God totally orchestrated this opportunity. I heard about the trip just a few weeks before it was time to request vacation time for 2015 for work, so that was not an obstacle. And thanks to high census at the hospital I work at and mandatory overtime throughout the fall, I was not held back by the cost of the flight.

Naturally, I have been going over all the old pictures and blog posts from my 2012 trip and cannot wait to be back at it! As family and friends have been hearing about my planned trip, I was asked by many if this blog will be active again. So... I couldn't help myself. This will be a much shorter trip (10 days vs. 5ish weeks), so my goal is to get at least a couple updates published from Piura while there. I am in such a different place going into this as a NICU RN than I was as a nursing student. For one, I have not had anything to do with adult nursing care outside of helping new moms breastfeed since I graduated in 2013. Time to dig out the big people stethoscope! What's a normal adult blood pressure again? ;) Also any adults out there who loves needles want to let me practice IVs on them so I am actually useful to help out in pre-op (I am 110% serious though)? I have had 2.5 years to be in prayer for the the community, and now that the day I return is close I think about these amazing people frequently!

I would love to have your support in prayer while I'm there, here are some ways you can be praying for me and the rest of our team:
  • It's easy to be overwhelmed by the need for medical care and basic environmental cleanup. Pray for guidance as to how we can be most effective.
  • Health for our team: specifically, I have POTS (google if interested) and don't have the greatest success rate in hotter temps (I faint on occasion but am well medicated). This is Peru's SUMMER and looking at the forecast, it is mostly in the 90s in January during the day. Also just generally traveling to a foreign country does have a host of minor health risks for all typical adults (ex. the little baby parasite I got last time).
  • For how to offer care that meets not only physical but spiritual needs, especially with the language barrier (Spanish). I believe there are a handful of fluent Spanish speakers going, I am not one of them. I would say I'm more of a casual conversationalist, medical Spanish is definitely not one of my gifts. Part of what I love about nursing is to have the opportunity to care for the whole person/family, and I'd love to bring this to our trip. There is far less separation between church and state in Peru, and it is culturally appropriate to pray with patients and talk about Jesus.
  • Sleep/rest- I work 12 hour nocs. It will be a full 12-hour flip to my typical schedule. 
  • For when we return- it is so hard to leave and go back to "normal" life. I'm very blessed to have so many people and a job I love to return to, but there will always be a part of me in Peru.
  • The family MU supports recently went through a loss, it is much appreciated if you would keep them in your prayers.

Thanks to all for the support and encouragement as we get close to heading over again! Here's a little photo throwback from Peru 2012 :) 





Because these niƱos are the sweetest!






My good friends Manual & Felix :)



All of the MU nursing students. Molly & Kat will also be returning this year!



Con amor,
Esperanza

 "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters, wherever You would call me."

No comments:

Post a Comment