Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Party in the USA

I've been throwing my hands up like Miley in the USA since Saturday night. I figure I should write a final post about my experience in Peru. I may have put off doing this because I feel like that means it is actually over. I have mixed feelings about being back. I was very excited to see everyone and enjoy the comforts of home, but now I feel kind of odd. It's that "post-mission trip feeling" that so many of you have probably experienced as well. First of all, I feel lazy that I'm not doing something beneficial to the world with my time. Second of all, the culture is so different and more friendly in Peru. For example, I stopped by the mall for a short time and found myself thinking "why does nobody want to say hello to me?!" this week. The whole thing just makes me feel like I don't belong in the U.S. a little. Before I left, I prayed for an open heart to show love to all who I would encounter. The thing is, these people of Peru now have a place in my heart that I don't know how to explain/share with everyone here. So here I sit typing this post while listening to Mueve La Pompa (a fiesta favorite)...
Let's rewind, here's what's gone down since my last post-
My final eval went just fine if anyone was curious. Also, we got a good grade on that 25 page paper! That evening, we went to fiesta #87685 (but probably more like 6). Everyone was so tired, but hey what's one more night of Peru "partying"? We started saying our goodbyes, which was sooo sad!
Here we are with Theresa, one of the nurses from the Oklahoma medical mission we worked with in the OR

After staying up too late (as usual), we got up before dawn to head to the Piura airport. Some of the parish staff and nurses we grew close to came along to see us off. After lots of hugs and some tears, we were off. We landed in Lima around 1000 a little unsure of what our next move would be, as our flight was not for 11 hours. We did end up having a tour scheduled (communication with Marquette had been scattered) that took up most of the day. We saw a little of this, some of that. In fact, I was personally invited to an ocean-side fiesta with some Peruvian hippies (yes, they do exist). Unfortunately, 'merica was calling my name.

In front of the governor's mansion

Pacific Ocean- our tour guide called this our "romantic" stop

After the tour, our group split. 8 of the girls were going on to Cuzco and a 4-day hike on the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. I skipped this part of the trip since I am probably still not quite there health-wise to make that and for my "big" plans this summer (more later). Kat & I headed back to the airport after the tour (on a wild and nauseating van ride, thankfully the last). I enjoyed Subway for dinner, which was great. Our flight was a little delayed, but we ended up taking off around 0030 (Saturday). We slept a lot of the way, as well as you can on a Spirit airplane. Spirit Air is advertised as low-fare air, which is true. Getting cheap means sacrificing on the comfort aspect though- not much space, non-reclining seats, no food (not even water on a 7 hour flight). Totally worth it for college students though! We arrived and were through customs in Fort Lauderdale, FL by 0830. I was dazzled by toilet seat covers, Dunkin' Donuts, air conditioning, and use of the English language. I sat in this airport until 4:30 PM, passing the time talking to everyone that would listen on the phone. On the flight to Chicago, I got to sit by a puppy! I was definitely ready to get off the plane and see my family by the time we landed. I finally got to Green Bay, WI at 11:30 PM Saturday night. My first meal home was pizza- exactly what I wanted. 

Since returning, I've just been unpacking/doing laundry, catching up with friends and family, and resting (I am way behind on sleep!). My mother insists I am "so skinny", but really I gained 5 lbs on my trip (too much cake). I have been so blessed by my month in Peru, and I sincerely hope to return. I wish I could say that it will be next summer, but by then I'll be looking for a big girl job and trying to pass the NCLEX (boards/exams to get an RN license), so who knows where I'll be. Anyone looking for a great mission trip (whether medical or otherwise) should really consider going through Sacramento Santisimo! It is a Catholic parish, but I am not Catholic and really enjoyed my time there.
The rest of my summer includes a long weekend at the cottage with my extended family and a gum graft (snatching some skin off my hard palate and sewing it on where my gums should be). I have serious dental anxiety and have already had nightmares... August 3rd is the day. My only hope of postponing is if I brought some of Peru home with me/the parasite is still inhabiting my intestines (I'll find out early next week).

Thanks to all who have read my blog and emailed, I truly had no idea the response I would get! I would love to hear from anyone who has more questions about my trip, I am in the Green Bay area until mid-end of August. Some have asked if I'm going to keep blogging now that the trip is over, and I am fairly certain the answer is no. Simply, my life is not that interesting. There was a time in my life that was pretty eventful, but I'm pleased to say that time has mostly passed.

Con amor,
Esperanza

"Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see"



No comments:

Post a Comment