Friday, June 8, 2012

Pre-trip Thoughts

Two weeks from today I will be on my way to Peru! I am so excited for this adventure to begin. For those of you who I have not talked to, I will be in Piura, Peru June 22-July 21 for a nursing clinical. I will be working in clinics, a hospital, and a hospice center, as well as seeing patients on home visits. While we will be helping provide medical care for the community of Piura, I hope to learn from these people how I can best serve them in compassion and apply this knowledge to my future in nursing. My past clinical experiences include time on Labor & Delivery/Postpartum, Mental Health, and a cardiopulmonary floor. In these clinicals, I have had access to all that technology has to offer to provide care for my patients. My experience in Peru may be quite different- this should provide great practice for technical nursing skills (yes, manual blood pressures!) and maybe a little creativity. Also, I am hoping to improve my Spanish (or lack thereof) in this month. While I took Spanish all through high school and could sort of keep up a conversation by senior year, I have had minimal experience in college. Thus far, my preparation has included watching a couple Harry Potter movies in Spanish and reading a Spanish/English Bible. Clearly, I am far from fluent.


Part of what drew me to this program was a previous trip to Peru. In the summer of 2009 I ventured to the city of Huancayo with a mission group from my home church. On this trip, our team spent some time helping at small buildings where women and children came for free meals. We also held some small Bible teachings/fun programs directed towards the children.
Things I learned about Peru on my last trip:
The people we met were very welcoming and loved to dance!

The children were happy and so grateful for what they had, even though they lacked many "needs" that we take for granted in the U.S.

Guinea pigs= food. I ate one of these guys- a bit chewy but similar to chicken

Peru is BEAUTIFUL and mountainous! This was a sight-seeing day. Also, note the gray sweater: made from Peruvian alpaca fleece!



No comments:

Post a Comment